Your are here: Home // Tiger Woods upbeat ahead of Quail Hollow Championship

Tiger Woods upbeat ahead of Quail Hollow Championship


Tiger Woods says his game is improving as he prepares to resume his comeback at the Quail Hollow Championship.

In the first blog to be posted on his website since 5 October he also thanked fans at the Masters where he returned after his 144-day absence from golf.

"I honestly didn't know what to expect from the fans," Woods admitted.

"But they were absolutely incredible. It was unreal. To get that type of warmth is something I did not expect and will never forget."

The world number one stepped away from the sport last November after a series of allegations about his private life.

In December, he admitted to extra-marital affairs and said he was working hard to save his marriage. He returned at Augusta and eventually finished fourth.

The 14-time major winner took a holiday after the Masters but has also been working on his game.

"I took a little time off to go scuba diving and spend time with my family, but I did enjoy a fun round of golf with my friend John Cook at Isleworth Country Club [near his home in Florida]," he added.

"I double-eagled the par-five 17th hole - the third of my life - with a five wood and shot 63, so my game is improving."

Of his performance at Augusta, Woods remarked: "To actually contend in a major on the back nine Sunday and tie for fourth with very little preparation, with all that has transpired in my life, was pretty cool."

However, the four-time Masters winner admitted he was disappointed to finish five strokes adrift of winner and great rival Phil Mickelson.

"It felt great to be in the hunt again, but unfortunately, I didn't have my game," Woods commented.

"I knew I needed to make a run, but I just didn't have one in me. I had a terrible warm-up session Sunday, and it carried over to the first tee."

Referred to his use of bad language during his round at Augusta, he stated: "It's tough when you're in a competitive environment and in the flow of a tournament.

"I'm not perfect. All I can say is I'm trying to do everything I can without losing my fire and competitive spirit."

As well as Quail Hollow in North Carolina, he has also entered The Players Championship which takes place at Sawgrass in Florida between 6 and 9 May.

Leave a reply

Copyright © 2010 Sports Hot News.