Your are here: Home // Tearful Lorena Ochoa explains golf retirement

Tearful Lorena Ochoa explains golf retirement


Women's world number one Lorena Ochoa has ended her full-time playing career to focus on her family and charities.

The 28-year-old Mexican, who won two majors, has dominated the sport for the last three years since usurping Annika Sorenstam as world number one.

She will compete in next week's Tres Marias Championships in Mexico and also plans to play annually in the LPGA's Lorena Ochoa Invitational.

"I wanted to retire as the world number one and this is the moment," she said.

"I realised I didn't feel [the same] motivation this year and that I wanted to start a new life," she told a news conference in Mexico City, crying as she read a letter thanking her parents for their support.

"I want to dedicate to my family the time I have taken from them all these years."

GOLF BLOG
BBC Sport's Iain Carter

Ochoa married father-of-three Andres Conesa, the chief executive of Mexican airline Aeromexico, in her home city of Guadalajara in December 2009.

She won two majors - the Women's British Open in 2007 and Kraft Nabisco Championship in 2008 - and has recorded 27 victories in eight seasons on the LPGA Tour.

Ochoa, who has missed the cut only four times in 172 LPGA events, finished fourth earlier this month in the Kraft Nabisco Championship, this year's first women's golf major.

She has finished outside the top 10 in three other LPGA starts in 2010. Last season, Ochoa edged South Korea Jiyai Shin to claim her fourth consecutive LPGA Player of the Year award.

Ochoa won three tournaments in 2010 after collecting seven titles in 2008, eight in 2007 and six in 2006.

I must admit that I was surprised, but not shocked, when I heard the news that Lorena is going to retire
Annika Sorenstam

Ochoa overhauled Sorenstam as the leading women's player in April 2007, the first time the Swede had been headed since the official rankings were introduced in February 2006.

Sorenstam, who retired at the age of 38 in December 2008, dominated the women's game for over a decade, winning 90 tournaments, including 10 majors, and was player of the year eight times.

"I must admit that I was surprised, but not shocked, when I heard the news that Lorena is going to retire," Sorenstam said on her blog.

"She has always said she would play for maybe 10 years and then leave the game to start a family. She just got married and obviously feels that she is ready for that next chapter in her life."

Leave a reply

Copyright © 2010 Sports Hot News.